Federal Skilled Worker Program | How to get a Federal Skilled Worker Visa | Applying for Federal Skilled Worker Program in Canada | Newcomers Canada

Newcomers Career Fair - Vancouver

3 March 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Toronto

7 April 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Calgary

5 May 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more


If you are a skilled worker wishing to stay in Canada, one option available is the Federal Skilled Worker program, which offers permanent residency.  Skilled workers are defined as a person with skilled professional work experience, and are selected for permanent residency based on their ability to contribute to the Canadian economy.


In order to be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must fulfil certain criteria. For example:

  • Your must have one year of paid skilled work experience within the last ten years
  • Your work experience must be in the same National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type
  • You must show that you meet the language and educational requirements
  • You must have sufficient funds to finance yourself upon arrival in Canada

These factors are part of a 100 point grid, used to determine a worker’s eligibility. You must earn 67 points to pass. For a full list of criteria and to find out if you are eligible, see the Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

How to Apply

All applications for this program must be submitted through Canada’s new Express Entry system, a method of selecting candidates for permanent residency. To find out more about this system, take a look at our ‘What is Express Entry?’ section. Applications for Express Entry can be submitted online through the CIC website.