Federal Skilled Trades Program | How to get a Federal Skilled Trades Visa | Applying for Federal Skilled Trades Program in Canada | Newcomers Canada

Newcomers Career Fair - Vancouver

3 March 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Toronto

7 April 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Calgary

5 May 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more


If you’re qualified in certain skilled trades, you may be eligible to become a permanent resident in Canada through the Federal Skilled Trades Program.


The minimum requirements to be eligible for this program are:

  • You must meet the required level of English or French
  • You must have at least two years of  full time work experience in your skilled trade
  • You must meet the job requirements for that trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification
  • You must have an offer of full time employment for a period of at least one year, or a certificate of qualification in your trade issued by a Canadian authority

If you already have a job offer from an employer, you will increase your chances of being approved for the program. For a full list of eligibility requirements and more information on the Federal Skilled Trades Program, see the CIC website.

How to Apply

All applications for this program must be submitted through Canada’s new Express Entry system, a method of selecting candidates for permanent residency. To find out more about this system, take a look at our ‘What is Express Entry?’ section. Applications for Express Entry can be submitted online through the CIC website.