Ability to Work on Student Visa | Can International Students Work in Canada | Canadian Student Work Permits | Newcomers Canada

Newcomers Career Fair - Vancouver

3 March 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Toronto

7 April 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Calgary

5 May 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more


It’s understandable that many international students wish to work and earn some money during their time studying in Canada, due to the high cost of fees, accommodation and general living expenses.

Working in Canada while Studying

If you wish to work while you are a student, you have several options:

  • Working on campus. You do not need a work permit to do this, as long as you are a full time student with a valid study permit.
  • Working off campus. Once again you do not need a work permit to do this, as long as you have a valid study permit and are studying full time in a course that leads to a degree or diploma, and is at least six months in duration. In this case, you can work a total of 20 hours a week during regular term time, and full time during long breaks such as summer holidays. You will need a social insurance number to work off campus. Find out more on the CIC website.
  • Working as a co-op student or intern. If work experience or an internship is part of your college program, you will need a work permit for this. To obtain a work permit, you must have a valid study permit, and the work must be essential to your study program. You may not be eligible for a work permit if you study English or French as a second language. You can submit an application through the CIC website.

For information on staying in Canada after you graduate and applying for the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program, take a look at Studying in Canada in our Immigrating section.