Bridging Programs in Canada |What is a Bridging Program? | Newcomers Canada

Newcomers Career Fair - Vancouver

3 March 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Toronto

7 April 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Calgary

5 May 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more


What is a bridging program?

Bridging programs are courses available in Canada for newcomers who have previous certificates, qualifications or work experience in their home country and wish to ‘bridge the gap’ between these and the Canadian equivalent. The programs are designed to allow newcomers to make use of their international achievements and experience, and increase the chances of obtaining a job in the Canadian labour market.

Who provides bridging programs?

Many colleges, universities, employers and community organisations provide bridging programs for newcomers to Canada. Each provincial government works with the Government of Canada to ensure bridging programs are provided in each province, and for a variety of professions.

Which occupations are bridging programs recommended for?

Any newcomer who wishes to work in a regulated occupation in Canada would benefit the most from partaking in a bridging program. Regulated occupations are generally split into two areas:

  • Regulated professions such as nursing, medicine, law, accounting, teaching, professional engineering etc.
  • Regulated trades such as electricians, technicians, plumbers, hairstylists etc.

Those who wish to work in a regulated occupation will require certification or a license from an official or voluntary body which represents the profession or trade. Bridging programs can help newcomers be better prepared and more successful in the licensing or certification process.

See our Credential Recognition section for more information on this. You can also take a look at the government website of your province, as each province’s regulated occupations and official bodies vary.