Student Visas for Canada |How to get a Canadian Student Visa | How to study in Canada | Newcomers Canada

Newcomers Career Fair - Vancouver

3 March 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Toronto

7 April 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Calgary

5 May 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more


If you are an international student wishing to study in Canada, you will need a study permit. To obtain a study permit, you must first receive an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution.

Each designated learning institution in Canada has a unique identification number called a Designated Institution (DLI#) which you must include on your study permit application form. You can find a list of designated learning institutions and their numbers on the Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

Applying for a Study Permit

As we have mentioned above, the first thing you will need to apply for a study permit is a letter of acceptance from the school, college or university you will be attending. You will also need:

  • Proof of identity – e.g. a valid passport
  • Proof that you can financially support yourself while in Canada
  • Letter explaining why you need the study permit and what you will be doing in Canada.

You can apply either online or on paper - full details are provided on the CIC website. For more information on getting a student visa, extending your study permit and staying on in Canada after you graduate, take a look at Studying in Canada in our Immigrating section.