Employment Insurance Canada | Canadian Financial Assistance | Unemployment Benefit Canada | Newcomers Canada

Newcomers Career Fair - Vancouver

3 March 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Toronto

7 April 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Calgary

5 May 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more


If you are unemployed, you might be eligible to receive Employment Insurance (EI) depending on whether you meet certain requirements. EI provides temporary financial assistance (regular benefits) while you look for work or upgrade your skills.

You may also receive temporary financial assistance from EI if you are:

  • Sick, injured or subject to quarantine for health reasons;
  • Pregnant or caring for a new-born or adopted child; or
  • Caring for a family member who is seriously ill with a significant risk of death.

If you work in Canada, you must pay EI contributions so that you can benefit from EI in a time of need. Your employer will usually deduct EI contributions directly from your paycheque. EI benefits are also available to self-employed people who choose to participate in the EI program. To benefit from EI, you must apply and meet certain eligibility criteria.

For detailed information on EI and how to apply, consult the Service Canada website, call Service Canada at 1-800-206-7218 or visit a Service Canada Centre in person (see the Blue Pages or the Service Canada website for locations).

Source: Welcome to Canada: What you should know

www.cic.gc.ca, Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Reproduced with the permission of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada, 2013.