Internships in Canada | How to get an Internship in Canada | Internship Jobs Canada | Newcomers Canada

Newcomers Career Fair - Vancouver

3 March 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Toronto

7 April 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more

Newcomers Career Fair - Calgary

5 May 2018 at 10:00am-4:00pm more


Internships are a great way to gain experience in a certain field, and are very popular with students, recent graduates and newcomers in Canada. An internship is a professional working position in a company for a short period of time (usually 3-6 months). Internships offer a worker the opportunity to gain valuable experience, and may be paid or unpaid. They are also an excellent way to learn about an industry and make contacts that can help you secure a full time job in the future.

How to Find an Internship

You can find an internship in much the same way that you would look for a job, i.e. by searching online and in publications, sending off resumes and cover letters, and going to interviews. It can often be easier to find an internship than a full time job, as interns work on a more casual basis, and are often unpaid.

As well as the usual career and job board websites which offer internships and placements in private companies, the government body Canadian Association of Programs in Public Administration (CAPPA) provides a website for post-secondary students to apply for internships in the public sector.

Benefits to Newcomers

Having Canadian work experience is often an advantage when looking for a job in Canada. One way of gaining this experience is by volunteering or accepting an internship in your field of work. Volunteering and internships can help you:

  • Gain Canadian work experience to put on your resume;
  • Develop your knowledge of the Canadian workplace;
  •  Improve your English or French; and
  • Meet people and develop a network of contacts that can help you find work opportunities or provide you with references.

International Students

If you are an international student and work experience or an internship is part of your college program, you will need a work permit for this. To obtain a work permit, you must have a valid study permit, and the work must be essential to your study program. You may not be eligible for a work permit if you study English or French as a second language. You can submit an application through the CIC website