Welcome Back to Toronto Public Library (TPL)
On Friday, November 20, the Province of Ontario announced further measures to curb the rise in COVID-19 cases across Ontario. Effective Monday, November 23rd at 12:01 am, Toronto and Peel will move to the Grey-Lockdown category. Toronto Public Library services will be adjusted to align with the new regulations. Please check this information page for updates:
Toronto Public Library’s services and resources continue to be available to newcomers. To keep everyone safe, there are various measures put in place.
For more information and regular updates, please visit the TPL’s reopening plan information page. At our open library branches, you can register for a free Toronto Public Library card if you live, work, go to school or own a property in Toronto. Check this list of identification requirements before visiting.
In a phased approach, different services have carefully been brought back over the last few months.
Browse and borrow materials:
- TPL’s multilingual collections are available in over 40 languages.
- Most branches have English as a Second Language materials.
- Place holds on new materials and pick them up at most branches. You can check out your holds using our self-checkout stations. There are hand sanitizers available at all self-checkout stations.
Some collections have been removed including newspapers, magazines, board books and comics.
- Library Settlement Partnerships (LSP) is returning for appointment-based one-on-one information and referral service at select TPL branches.
- There is no drop-in service at this time. Please make an appointment before visiting us.
- Safety measures are in place.
- Connect with a settlement worker about free online programs.
LSP is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Computer use and connecting to free Wi-fi:
- Computer workstations are two meters apart and are sanitized between bookings.
- You can reserve a computer at most library branches. Due to limited access, we strongly recommend making a reservation online or with staff over the phone.
- You can print, photocopy and scan. Cash payments are not accepted at this time. Please add money to a copycard account online before you arrive to the library.
Useful online resources:
- Free library online programs– check these out from home
- Mango Languages– offers courses that teach English using your mother tongue. You can choose from 21 languages to take interactive ESL courses.
- Tense Buster– lessons and practice tests to help improve English grammar. Beginner to advanced levels.
- OverDrive e-collections– offers small collections in Chinese, Russian, Spanish and Portuguese.
- Press Reader– current and recent newspapers and magazines from over 100 countries, in over 60 languages.
We also need your help in keeping everyone safe. Here are some additional steps to take before you visit us:
- Take the COVID-19 self-assessment test. If you have symptoms or may have been exposed to COVID-19, please stay at home and do not visit the library.
- Wear your mask or face covering when you visit us.
- Keep a distance of 6 feet or 2 metres from others.
- Wash or sanitize your hands often, before and after touching materials.
- Food and drink, other than closed water bottles, are currently not allowed in our branches.
- Each branch is monitoring its occupancy capacity, so you may have to wait your turn to come inside.
We look forward to seeing you at TPL. Keep safe and stay well!