Language Proficiency Tests and Certificates

There are some cases in which you may need (or want) to provide proof of your level of proficiency in either English or French (for example, when you apply for a job or entry into a university or college). In such cases, you should always check what type of proof is required. However, several language tests are widely recognized. They provide a certificate of language proficiency that can be used in a variety of situations. These tests and certificates are offered by independent organizations, not the Government of Canada. You can take these tests at locations across the country.

These are some of the most widely recognized English language tests and certificates:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS). For more information and a list of test centres, go to
  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL: commonly required by universities and colleges)

These are some of the most widely recognized French language tests and certificates:

You can also get information on these tests and the certificates they provide from some government language assessment centres or from private language schools.

Source: Welcome to Canada: What you should know

www.cic.gc.caImmigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Reproduced with the permission of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada, 2013.

© Copyright 2019